Numbers to call in the event of an emergency
Emergencies catch most people unprepared. This overview explains who can help with urgent health problems, acute crises and poisoning. Depending on the urgency and nature of the problem you can call the emergency services, non-emergency medical assistance, help and crisis lines or a poison control center.
At a glance
- There are various hotlines and helplines for medical or mental health emergencies.
- Call the emergency services if the situation is life-threatening or there is a risk of permanent damage.
- The non-emergency medical assistance line should be called in urgent but non-life-threatening situations when the medical practice is closed.
- The Telefonseelsorge (German telephone helpline) is a potential point of contact for people with urgent psychological problems. There are many other crisis helplines in the various regions.
- In the case of poisoning call the poison control center; if the situation is life-threatening, call the emergency services on 112.